ALAMOSA—If you haven’t been to the Senior Center lately, come and see us! We’ve had a bit of a face lift! A very kind donor has provided us with new lobby furniture, dining room tables and 8 long tables! MGM Carpet polished the dining room floor and we look fabulous! Thank you to all of those who donate so generously to the Alamosa Senior Citizens! We would be lost without you!
The Senior Center building is rented out on a regular basis with the most sought after day being graduation. This year we had a cancellation on Saturday, May 25th so if you are still looking for a great venue, give us a call. We rent for $125/day without use of the commercial kitchen or $200/day with the kitchen.
The dance scheduled for this Friday, May 10 has been cancelled. Please go out and support the Antonito Senior Citizens for their Mother’s Day Dance on Friday, May 10th from 1-4 p.m.
* May 11 an AARP Smart Driver Course will be offered from 1-5 p.m. Taking this course may help you to save money on your car insurance! Drive Smart – Save Smart. Refresh your driving skills and learn the new rules of the road! There are NO tests to pass. Classroom Course is $15 for AARP members and $20 for non-members. This class must have 25 participants to be held and at this time we lagging. If you or someone you know would benefit from this class, please call by Wednesday to register.
* Join us Tuesday May 14 for a fun filled and informative class conducted by Candace Knowlan (Award-winning Photographer) on photography! We’ll meet on the Park side patio at 1 pm and conclude by 3 p.m. You may use any camera you wish to. This class will help participants to learn what to look for in choosing a photo and how to “frame” it, the difference between a snapshot and a photograph and how to print it to share or display. There will be a place set up in the Senior Center for those wishing to display their photos. The class is free and there will be a Photo/Awards show on Tuesday, June 11 at 11 am.
* Saturday, May 18, the senior van will depart at 9 a m for a fun day in Del Norte! We’ll start off at the Rio Grande Museum and after our self-guided tour, venture over to have a scrumptious lunch at the Historic Windsor Hotel. The Museum offers visitors a look into the cultural history of the area including the Native Americans, Mountain men fur trappers, Settlers from New Mexico, Gold seekers, Farmers, Ranchers and Merchants who came for land, freedom and a better way of life and Mexican land grants. Many came for the adventure. One of Colorado’s oldest hotels, the Windsor occupies nearly one half of a city block in the heart of Del Norte. Its construction started soon after the town was founded in 1871. The town of Del Norte was a booming mining and ranching center in the last quarter of the 1800’s and on the short list for the capital of Colorado when Denver got the final nod. The Windsor became the main social and commercial center of the area and remained a regional gathering spot for over a hundred years. Cost for the trip is $5 with lunch on your own. Place your reservation soon as seating is limited! (719) 589-3277.
The following weekly activities are for all seniors whether you are a member or not. Please come and join us! All classes are free unless otherwise noted. If you have suggestions for a new class or group, please let us know!
* Billiards Play.
* Coffee social hour at 8:30 a.m.
* Puzzle construction.
* M, W & F Strong Bones at 9:30 a.m. Participants enjoy many health benefits such as; Improved Bone Density, Reduction of Falls, Improved Flexibility, and Increased Strength. You are welcome to join at any time!
* Dime BINGO, M-Th from 1-3 p.m. Free to members. $2 fee for non-members.
* Tai Chi with Lyn Johnson Wednesday mornings at 8:30 a.m and Sunday evenings at 5:30 Monday evenings.
* Free 5-point ear acupuncture conducted by Rick Wertz each Tuesday at 9:30 a.m for veterans and seniors 50 & over. Those who participate note less stress & anxiety and better sleep.
* Sewing Group (includes Knitting, Crocheting, Quilting and anything you want to work on) meets each Wednesday at 10:30 a.m and the Mah Jongg group at 1p.m.
* Art class with Rosi Myers meets each Thursday @ 10 am! Each class will offer something new! You may join in at any time.
* Dominoes - Fridays at 12:30 p.m.
* Daily transportation is available for seniors 60 and over within Alamosa City limits between 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Please call ahead at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a ride for doctor visits, grocery shopping, dining and participating in events at the Center and such. ***Due to high demand, transportation will be limited to one location per person per day.
* If you are not yet a member, please consider joining us! Regular annual membership is $30 per person or for an Ambassador membership $100 per person. We are located at 92 Colorado in Alamosa adjacent to Cole Park. Hours of operation are: Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. And Fridays 8 a.m. to 2. p.m. (719) 589-3277.