Amarah's Corner: Family warns of accidental fentanyl overdose


Kids like me are kids and adults of all ages whose parents are, or were, drug addicts and alcoholics, kids who have suffered, or who are suffering, abuse and neglect on multiple levels, and kids who are victims of bullying.

I found the following true story and wanted to share it with you:

“There is no experimenting. It’s life or death.” Family issues warning after teen dies of accidental fentanyl overdose

The family of an Arizona teen who died of an accidental fentanyl overdose is urging parents to warn their children of the dangers of non-prescription pills.

Earlier this month (November, 2018), 19-year-old best friends Gunnar Bundrick and Jake Morales died after they both took a pill laced with fentanyl.

In a Facebook post that has since gone viral, Bundrick’s aunt, Brandi Bundrick Nishnick says the pills were mislabeled as Percocet, but contained 50 per cent fentanyl. As the post notes, each pill contained enough of the powerful pain killer to kill 10 adult males.

Nishnick begins the post by thanking friends for their love and support and says she felt compelled to tell her nephew’s story in hopes that it would “clear up any misconceptions” and hopefully, save another child’s life.

According to Nishnick, Bundrick and Morales went out with friends before returning to Bundrick’s house to play video games and eat pizza.

“At some point during the evening, Gunner, and his friend, took a pill stamped Percocet. The very popular and easily accessible painkiller,” Nishnick wrote. “Gunner has no history of drug use, has never been a ‘problem child’ and was a star athlete, wonderful son and brother and was extremely loved in his community.”

As most of you know, we lost my nephew, Gunner, on November 3rd. I feel it’s important to tell Gunner’s story for 3 reasons:

1. Gunner was an amazing kid who deserved the life he won’t get the chance to live so I owe him his story to be told.

2. I want to clear up any misconceptions and give the facts. 

3. Gunner’s story could very well save your child’s life so please, share his story.

The short version:

Gunner went out with friends on Friday night. They came back to my brother’s house late and stayed up eating pizza and playing video games- like most 19-year old boys do.

At some point during the evening, Gunner, and his friend, took a pill stamped Percocet. The very popular and easily accessible pain killer.

Gunner has no history of drug use, has never been a “problem child”, was a star athlete, wonderful son and brother and was extremely loved in his community.

We don’t know why he decided to take “a pill” that night. The only thing we can assume is that the curiosity of knowing what the “high” is like came into play? Again, we can only assume.

His friend also took a pill.

Both went to sleep and never woke up.

My sister in law, his mother, found both boys the next morning. She, and my nieces, tried to resuscitate to no avail. Both boys had been dead for hours and there was nothing they, or the paramedics could do.

The pills Gunner and his friend took were at the very least laced with fentanyl. We are still waiting on reports but there is a good chance it was more than 50 percent fentanyl. That’s enough poison to kill 10 adult males. According to the detective working on Gunner’s case, to draw comparison for perspective, 2 grains of table salt size of fentanyl will kill any adult.

Think about that. 

I’m sharing Gunner’s story because he had goals and aspirations. He wanted to be a dad. He wanted to continue to play football and baseball in college. He wanted to go hunting and fishing with his grandpa. Gunner wasn’t done.

One bad choice, one stupid minor mistake was all it took. 

Gunner never had a chance.

It’s natural to be curious and want to “experiment” with things at Gunner’s age. Remember when we were in HS and kids considered experimenting with cigarettes? It’s a different time now. Kids are experimenting with pills because they think they’re safe. They’ve seen them in their parents’ medicine cabinets.

They seem harmless.

These aren’t the pills in your parents’ medicine cabinet. They are made in someone’s garage who is trying to make a buck...a buck at the expense of our children’s lives.

THERE CAN BE NO EXPERIMENTING.

 None.

It’s truly a matter of life or death.

You can’t see fentanyl. You can’t smell fentanyl.

Tell your kids Gunner’s story. I can’t describe the amount of pain my brother, sister-in-law and Gunner’s sisters are going through - a pain that will NEVER end. A hole that will NEVER be filled. A life that will NEVER be brought back.

A beautiful life.

Gone forever. 

Retrieved from https://www.yahoo.com/style/no-experimenting-life-death-family-issues-warning-teen-dies-accidental-fentanyl-overdose-211250756.html

Until next time, remember, Jesus Loves You, and JESUS IS LORD!

Advertisement

More In Opinion