Forget chips and salsa and that tub of store-bought guacamole this Cinco de Mayo. How about homemade spicy corn salad, poached chick breast topped with mole sauce and gazpacho?
Celebrity chef Nick Stellino, who is celebrating the 25th anniversary of his hit TV show “Storyteller in the Kitchen,” it’s so tasty. And best of all, so easy to make!
Here are Nick’s recipes for these three dishes below to help your readers have a truly authentic and fun Cinco de Mayo celebration.
Spicy Corn Salad
Ingredients: 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1/4 cup C&H Golden Brown Sugar, 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced, 1 tablespoon chopped Parsley, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon of Nick’s Magic Rub
For the Corn Salad: 1/2 cup Cotija, queso blanco, or feta cheese, cut into 1/4” dice; 2 cups corn kernels; 1/2 cup finely diced onion; 1 diced red bell pepper; Salt and pepper to taste; ? cup chopped parsley
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a large bowl, whisking well to incorporate the flavors.
- Add the corn salad ingredients and stir, coating the salad with the dressing.
- Add the chopped parsley and stir into the salad.
For a more flavorful result, let the salad rest in the refrigerator for no less than one and up to four hours. Remove and warm to room temperature before serving.
Poached Chicken in Mole Sauce
Ingredients for The Poaching Liquid: 3 cups chicken stock, 1 tablespoon Nick’s Magic Rub, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup diced celery, 1/2 cup diced carrots, 1 bay leaf
Ingredients for the chicken: 4 4-6 ounce pieces boneless and skinless chicken breast, 2 teaspoons of Nick’s Magic Rub
For decoration: 1 cup finely sliced scallions
- Prepare the mole sauce.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the poached chicken.
- Pour the stock into a large pot (large enough to hold the chicken pieces). Bring stock to boil over medium-high heat.
- Add Nick’s magic rub, the onion, celery, carrots, and bay leaf. Stir well.
- Flavor both sides of each chicken breast with Nick’s magic rub and add to the stock.
- Remove from heat and place the lid on the pot. Let the chicken poach in the stock for 15-18 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160 degrees. Cut the chicken breasts into 1” slices.
- To serve, plate the sauce at the bottom each dish and cover with chicken slices. Top the chicken slices with finely sliced scallions.