Heat lamp blamed for garage fire

Courtesy photo. A heat lamp inside a straw shelter built to keep dogs warm was the apparent cause of a fire that extensively damaged a two-car garage Thursday morning about five miles west of Alamosa on the Co-op road.

ALAMOSA– A heat lamp inside a straw shelter built to keep dogs warm was the apparent cause of a fire that extensively damaged an oversized two-car garage about five miles west of here Thursday morning.

Chief Don Chapman of the Alamosa Fire Department (AFD) said firefighters were called to the property of Hector and Ruth Delgado at 4941 Co. Rd. 8S (Co-op road) about 7:30 a.m. Serious fire damage was reported to the north wall and interior rafters/attic area of the structure, as well as much of the content.

Smoke damage was also reported to a GMC pickup and two OHVs that were inside the garage and removed by firefighters after flames were extinguished.

Chapman said AFD responded with nine personnel and four fire trucks and were assisted by three Monte Vista firefighters with one unit. Firefighters were on scene for about 1 ½ hours.

Advertisement


Video News