Here are the 10 best reasons for barbecuing veggie burgers and veggie hot dogs at this year's Independence Day gatherings, rather than ground-up animal body parts:
- Focusing on traffic and fireworks safety, rather than food safety.
- Giving your eyes a break from reading government food warning labels.
- Not sweating cancer-causing compounds if barbecue temperature is too high.
- Not sweating nasty E. coli and salmonella bugs if temperature is too low.
- Not wondering about the real contents of that burger or hot dog you're chewing.
- Giving your body a holiday from saturated fat, cholesterol, and hormones.
- Not sweating the animal cruelty and environmental devastation guilt trips.
- Not having to explain to your kids why we cherish Fido but eat Babe.
- Enjoying the exploration of veggie meal offerings in your supermarket.
- Celebrating a day of independence from the meat industry.