ALAMOSA — Trinity Lutheran Church will celebrate 100 years of grace and mercy with a special service on Sunday, January 20.
Under the guidance of Rev. Martin Mueller of St. Peters in Monte Vista, the Trinity Evangelical Church was established on January 19, 1919, in Alamosa. The organizational meeting was held in the Seventh-day Adventist Church on the southeast corner of Main and Edison in Alamosa, which is now a parking lot.
Rev. Mueller had been conducting services in Alamosa for several years, and the Alamosa congregation associated as charter members of Trinity Evangelical Church in 1919.
In 1922 the Lutherans purchased the Roman Catholic Chapel and moved to Fourth and Alamosa, where the structure still stands and is used for apartments.
That location was the Lutherans’ church home and sanctuary for 39 years.
After building an annex onto the church building, from 1940-1948 the Lutherans operated a schoolhouse for grades 1-8 in the annex building.
In January 1961 the current building at Monterey and El Rio Drive was dedicated. In 1982 the school was reconvened, with as many as 88 students at one time. The school currently serves 51 students in preschool through second grade.
During its 100-year history, the Lutheran church in Alamosa has had 16 pastors. Current pastor is Rev. Jason Cody.
The Lutheran Women’s Missionary League has been the right arm of the church and active since 1919. Their mission is to assist with the care of the church and support local, national and international projects.
Trinity Lutheran Church continues to preach the good news that our sins are forgiven, and the way back to God was opened when Jesus died on the cross and paid the penalty for sin and rose from the dead victorious. Everyone who believes this has eternal life, John 3:16.
The community is invited to celebrate Trinity’s 100th anniversary on Sunday, January 20, at the church at 52 El Rio Drive, Alamosa. The service will begin with fellowship with coffee, juice and sweet rolls at 9 a.m. followed by the celebration worship service, communion and dedication of new hymnals at 10 a.m. A potluck dinner will follow in the fellowship hall.