Regionwide striping operations to begin May 16 in southwest and south-central Colorado
The Colorado Department of Transportation, in partnership with Straight Stripe Painting Inc., will begin summer restriping operations on several highways throughout southwestern and south-central Colorado next week. Striping operations will begin May 16 spanning across Alamosa, Archuleta, Chaffee, La Plata, Mineral, Montezuma, Montrose, Ouray, Rio Grande, and San Juan counties.
The regionwide striping project preserves the reflectivity of highway markings by adding fresh paint over existing striping and pavement markings on both asphalt and concrete pavement types. These new white and yellow markings match and refresh existing pavement lines. Work is expected to be completed in August and will take place at US 160, US 491, US 550, and US 50, US 285, CO 291, and US 24.
“In efforts to maintain safe highways, restriping is a common summer housekeeping activity to refresh pavement markings after the typical wear and tear that occurs throughout the year,” mentioned Julie Constan, Regional Transportation Director. “It is crucial to maintain the reflectivity on highway centerlines and edgelines, as it guides motorists especially at night and during inclement weather conditions."
- Mobile traffic control will be used in work zones with slow-moving directional traffic
- Drivers may expect delays and are asked to exercise patience when encountering the mobile pavement marking zone
- Use caution and slower speeds when traveling through the work zone as there will be wet paint throughout the work route
- General working hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
Highway Striping Locations
- US 160 (Mile Points 0 - 236): Highway paint striping operations will take place from the Four Corners through Alamosa in Montezuma, La Plata, Archuleta, Mineral, Rio Grande and Alamosa counties
- US 491 (MPs 26 - 36): Highway paint striping operations will take place north of Towaoc to just south of Lewis in Montezuma County
- US 550 ( MPs 0 - 117): Highway paint striping operations will take place approximately 16 miles south of Durango and ending near Colona, in La Plata, San Juan, Ouray and Montrose counties
- US 24 (MPs 193-226): Highway paint striping operations will take place from Granite to Trout Creek Pass in Chaffee County
- US 50 (MPs 165 - 241): Highway paint striping operations will take place east of the US 50 and CO 114 junction to Coaldale, 20 miles west of Salida, in Gunnison and Chaffee counties
- US 285 (MPs 126 - 148): Highway paint striping operations will take place between Poncha Springs and Johnson Village in Chaffee County
- CO 291 (MPs 0-9): Highway paint striping operations will take place between Salida and the US 285 and CO 291 junction in Chaffee County