“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Churchill
April is Volunteer Appreciation Month & I can’t say enough wonderful things about those who volunteer not just here at the center but for so many other organizations in the Valley as well. Our Ladies Spring Time Tea was a success thanks to the group of ladies that put it all together! Thanks also to Randy Macy for the amazing piano music and to Gilbert Ortega for taking pictures! I hope those who attended enjoyed themselves! What a treat for me to look out and see so many smiling and beautiful faces!
It’s said that those who volunteer tend to have higher self-esteem, psychological well-being, and happiness. This statement sure seems to fit the precious folks who volunteer their time, talents and gifts toward the betterment of the Alamosa Senior Citizens Center. A great big THANK YOU!! I hope you know how much we love and appreciate you!
Please join us each week for the following:
* 8:30 a.m. Coffee Club daily.
* Dime Bingo, M-Th from 1 p.m.-3 p.m. Free to members.
* Free 5 Point ear acupuncture each Wed @ 10:30 a.m. for those 50 and over. After this treatment, you may find yourself less stressed, sleeping better, and less anxious. It has also proven to promote mental clarity, memory and energy.
* Strong Bones Exercise Class - W & F from 9-9:45 a.m. This program is geared specifically for women to help keep osteoporosis at bay and improve circulation.
* Dominoes - Fridays @ 12:30 p.m. You don’t have to know how to play. We will teach you!
* Chair Yoga - Fridays @ 10 a.m. Yoga can benefit anyone, regardless of age, inflexibility or even disability. There’s a saying among yoga teachers that “If you can breathe, you can do some form of yoga.” For those who can’t get on the floor to do a traditional mat yoga class, chair yoga offers wonderful health benefits.
* Monday, May 1st @ 10:30 a.m. will be the last “Stepping On” class. If you have been unable to come at all, or have missed one here and there, please join us for this last class. You can jump in any time!
* Friday, May 5th the National Federation of the Blind support group will meet @ 10 a.m. Mary Brown will be our special guest speaker. Mary has an awesome story! She was born with congenital glaucoma with nystagmus. Throughout her life, Mary has come to understand her limitations but has not let that keep her from living life to its fullest! Mary will share about her life and the obstacles she has overcome. “Including the white cane.” Coffee and donuts provided.
* Our next casino excursion is set for Wednesday, May 12th. We will depart from the center at 8 a.m. and head to the Santa Claran casino in NM. (We did go there last month, but apparently lots of folks won so they want to go back :).) Cost for the excursion is $25. Seating is limited so call soon to reserve your spot.
* Thursday, May 11th the Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Support Group meets here @ 11 a.m. This group is for caregivers, family or friends who deal with the daily challenges of caring for someone with Alzheimer’s or other dementias. Please call 719-544-5720 with any questions.
* Each Friday from 11 a.m.–12 p.m. and 1 p.m.–2 p.m., Linda Falkenthal will be offering free 60 minute individual classes on the following: Computers, Smart Phones, Tablets & Social Media use. There will be a sign-up sheet here at the center, sign-up on Facebook (Alamosa Senior Citizens Center), or phone in your request for a session (719-589-3277).
* Each Tuesday in May @ 10:30 a.m. Rick Wertz of Sunshine Acupuncture, will hold a Free 5 point ear acupuncture clinic for veterans and their immediate family members.
* **Plan ahead for May 23-24 as we journey west to the Sky Ute Casino in Ignacio! The fee for this trip is $100 which includes your room and trip fee. Please call soon as seating is limited and this favorite fills up quickly!
* We provide transportation (and greatly appreciate your donations) M-F between 8:30 a.m. & 11:30 a.m. for seniors at least 60 years of age. Please phone in your reservations to the center office at least 24 hours in advance. For your convenience, you may schedule several trips at a time.
* The Alamosa Senior Pool players are upgrading the pool tables and various other items. To those who have made generous donations, thank you! We’re getting there!
* Places are filling up for our upcoming trip to Branson MO! Join us for what is sure to be a fun and memorable experience. The luxury coach departs the center on November 11th and returns on the 19th. Call for more details, 719-589-3277.
We are located at 92 Colorado Ave in Alamosa. Hours of operation are: M-Th 8 a.m.-3 p.m. and Fridays 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Please call 719-589-3277 for information regarding membership and/or programs.
Caption: The Alamosa Senior Center’s Ladies Spring Time Tea was an enjoyable experience for participants. Courtesy photo by Gilbert Ortega