Suspect arrested after short pursuit

ALAMOSA — Alamosa and Adams State University police arrested a burglary suspect and his teenage accomplice on Tuesday afternoon following a short pursuit.

Alejandro Sandoval, 25, of Colorado Springs, and a 17-year-old female juvenile were taken into custody after a reported burglary in progress in the 600 block of Berkeley Avenue Tuesday afternoon.

According to the Alamosa Police Department, officers from the Alamosa Police Department and Adams State University Police Department responded to an area residence at 12:40 p.m. after an off-duty Adams State Police Department officer saw a male and female subject exiting the back door of the residence. 

Sandoval and the teen then entered a silver 2013 Nissan Sentra parked near the residence and fled the area but were quickly spotted by ASU PD Officer Erika Derouin-Green who attempted to contact the vehicle. 

Sandoval, who was driving, led Officer Derouin-Green and Alamosa police on a short vehicle pursuit, which ended in the 200 block of West Ave. Sandoval then jumped from his moving vehicle and fled on foot. The vehicle rolled into a parked vehicle, causing slight damage to two vehicles. 

Captain Ken Anderson from the Alamosa Police Department chased Sandoval on foot through an adjacent yard as other officers arrived on scene and surrounded the yard, taking Sandoval into custody without further incident. Officer Derouin-Green took the juvenile into custody without incident. 

As a result of the foot chase, two Alamosa Police Department officers received minor injuries. One officer was treated on the scene and the other officer was taken to the San Luis Valley Health Emergency Room, where he received medical care. 

Sandoval was charged with two counts of 2nd Degree Assault on a Peace Officer, 1st Degree Criminal Trespass, Vehicular Eluding, Unlawful Possession of a Schedule I & II substance, Reckless Endangerment, Resisting Arrest, and Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor. He is being held at the Alamosa County Jail on a $25,000 bond. 

The juvenile was released to the custody of her mother.